A couple of pages from my journal. The basic concept was to code an opportunity to exhibit and then exhibit the coded outcome. At the time, I was exploring the use of office materials to construct relatively large installation pieces, outcomes I could pack into a small parcel and send to the venue with instructions as to how to install them. I stretched the concept of ‘office materials’ to include coloured tracing paper, not a material I ever used in an office, but I did use plain tracing paper, so I gave myself artistic licence.
The first journal page gives you some idea of the thinking behind the code for a modernist coin wash outcome. Being the first such construction, I installed this myself for the coin wash opportunity. The materials used where: inkjet printed office paper, coloured tracing paper, clear transparency, and plastic binding combs (to connect it all together). Two rebar rods were inserted, one in the top comb and one in the bottom comb. The rebar was then attached to the wall using small steel eyelets. This mounting technique allowed for a small amount of tension in the piece and stopped the installation flapping around with air movement, when people walked past.
The second journal page shows the code for crossing lines outcome. Here, I included a digital print onto the transparencies, as a way to get an extra layer of code. Otherwise, it is similar to the coin wash outcome. I packaged the complete kit of parts into an A4 box file, with instructions for the curator, and popped it into the post. It was installed by the curator, who also took it down at the end of the exhibition and posted it back to me. It was a very successful test of the initial portable and reusable installation concept.