about code for

A couple of pages from my journal. The basic concept was to code an opportunity to exhibit and then exhibit the coded outcome. At the time, I was exploring the use of office materials to construct relatively large installation pieces, outcomes I could pack into a small parcel and send to the venue with instructions as to how to install them. I stretched the concept of ‘office materials’ to include coloured tracing paper, not a material I ever used in an office, but I did use plain tracing paper, so I gave myself artistic licence.

code for a modernist coin wash (journal) © revad david riley
code for a modernist coin wash (journal) © revad david riley

The first journal page gives you some idea of the thinking behind the code for a modernist coin wash outcome. Being the first such construction, I installed this myself for the coin wash opportunity. The materials used where: inkjet printed office paper, coloured tracing paper, clear transparency, and plastic binding combs (to connect it all together). Two rebar rods were inserted, one in the top comb and one in the bottom comb. The rebar was then attached to the wall using small steel eyelets. This mounting technique allowed for a small amount of tension in the piece and stopped the installation flapping around with air movement, when people walked past.

code for crossing lines (journal) © revad david riley
code for crossing lines (journal) © revad david riley

The second journal page shows the code for crossing lines outcome. Here, I included a digital print onto the transparencies, as a way to get an extra layer of code. Otherwise, it is similar to the coin wash outcome. I packaged the complete kit of parts into an A4 box file, with instructions for the curator, and popped it into the post. It was installed by the curator, who also took it down at the end of the exhibition and posted it back to me. It was a very successful test of the initial portable and reusable installation concept.

installing code for

Code for is (so far) a short series of three outcomes. Each outcome was made to be installed for a very specific exhibition opportunity. Each outcome was made using materials you might find in an office. The three outcomes were made between the autumn of 2013 and the spring of 2014. I am recording these outcomes, here and now, to stimulate a new enquiry along similar lines. In the near future, I am hoping to take the materials and the concept to the next stage. The materials allow for relatively large easily transportable and reusable installations.

code for

For photographic purposes the outcomes have recently been reinstalled in room 1 fake gallery, where the white painted brick wall is an appropriate environment similar to the original exhibition spaces. I’ll finish off this short series by posting some related journal pages.